07 September 2011

Synthesizers and Effects used on Apollo

Usually when I release a new album I get the question what synthesizers I used and most of the time I don't remember, but now I think I do ;) So here is a list of the synthesizers I used to create the upcoming Apollo album and also a list of the effects that were used. OK here for the synths: ARP 2600, Elka Synthex, Moog Minimoog, Moog Memorymoog, Moog Taurus III, Moog Voyager RME, Roland Jupiter 8, Roland System 100m, Roland SH-09, Roland SH-5, Roland V-Synth XT, Roland V-Synth GT, Roland GAIA, Korg Radias, Korg M3, Access Virus TI Polar, Nord Modular G2X, Waldorf Microwave 1, Arturia Origin,Anywhere Instruments Semtex XL, Alesis Andromeda A6, Eminent 310 Unique, Novation Ultranova and a Acid Lab Miami drum machine. I also used some software synthesizers.

All songs were recorded and arranged in Cakewalk Sonar X1 Producer Edition. Recording was done using Lynx Aurora 16 AD converters and RME MADI interfaces. I used quite some effects from my UAD-2 bundle, but also these hardware effects where used. Bricasti M7, Quantec Yardstick 2402/F, Eventide Eclipse, Eventide H8000, Eventide 2016 reverb, Lexicon PCM96 surround, Lexicon PCM91, Sony DPS-V77, TC Electronic Fireworx, Korg SDD-3000, EH Electric Mistress and AKG BX-15. The mastering is being done in Steinberg Cubase 6.1 and Audiofile Wave Editor on OSX Snow Leopard by my friend Hans Landman.

I hope this answers all questions up front and if not do feel free to ask. I'd be more than happy to answer your questions.

2 comments:

Martin Peters said...

I wonder if you record MIDI for hardware synths that have a MIDI interface or record only audio for all hardware synths? If you record audio, do you record synths with stereo output stereo or mono? And what format do you use to record audio tracks?

Thanks, Martin

Synth.nl said...

I always record both midi and audio. When I make mistakes, I sometimes replay the part, sometimes I edit the audio to make corrections, sometimes I edit the midi. The later is easier of course. It all depends on what has to be done. Very often though I use the midi to layer multiple synths with the same notes. I always record stereo when it is available. You can always make mono from stereo not the other way around :) I record everything at 48 Khz and in 24 bit.