24 December 2010

Novation UltraNova in the Studio

Since the financial crisis not many manufacturers dared to invest in a new synthesizer it seems, but Novation did. They just released a new synthesizer called the 'UltraNova' based on the sound engine of the famous SuperNova's. It is a virtual analog synthesizer with some wavetable like stuff as well and the price is very OK. When I saw that it also has SPDIF and USB and a VST that you can use from your sequencer I could not resist to try it out.
To start with the sound is great of course, but I didn't not expect anything less from Novation. But I love the VST even if it is still version 1.0. Here you can see it on the left. It only communicates with the UltraNova over USB and doesn't not send audio back like the Virus TI. That would have been really perfect, but this is really good as well. If you change preset on the synthesizer itself it also communicates back to the VST and of course you can save your presets with you song. And I really love those things :)
And I can already hear some of you think. That an awkward place you put that synthesizer in. Well yes, my studio is kind of full and because of this total integration I feel no need whatsoever to play on the keyboard of the UltraNova. I can play on it from any other keyboard in my studio and preferably from my master Midi keyboard that is right in front of me. But in the spot it is standing now I can also use the M3 to play on it and I control it then from the synthesizer itself and from my normal working position I can clearly read the display as well.

I did have to move around some other stuff first in the studio though because on the spot where the UltraNova is now there used to be a Roland SH-32. Well that has moved to the place where my MB-6582 and AWRSynth32 are at. And the SammichSID that used to be there is now just left of my M3. You can see that in the top picture. So well call me crazy ;) But for me it is all in a very convenient spot now, but I nothing lasts forever. I'm still moving stuff around to get the ideal work-flow and I'll probably never stop doing that.

No comments: