10 April 2008

ASM-2 (Part 2)

Today I also started working on the ASM-2. Most of the components arrived. You can see the stack of components in the picture on the left. Yes this will actually become a synthesizer :) Sorting out all the components was the first task and checking if I had everything. I knew some resistors were missing since they were in backorder. But probably I will find out along the way what I'm really missing. I put all the components in plastic bags, so I can't loose them. But from the amount of resistors only I know that this will be a lot of work to build.

I started soldering the first resistors today. First only the 100K and 10K resistors because these were the most. Actually my oldest daughter helped me to find the resistor numbers on the PCB. She really enjoyed helping me. Since all resistors are 1% tolerance reading color codes on the resistors is a pain in the ass. So I took my multi meter and actually measured the values on there. I expected that to be much more work than reading the codes, but I found out that this way is even faster. So something learned for the future :) On the right you can see how far I got today.

Not so far is seems and still I was busy for two hours. On the left you see all the components that are still left in the plastic bags. But I'm not complaining. Soldering is something that helps me relax. I'm very busy at work at the moment and this helps to get my mind clear, because I don't have time to think about anything else. I hope I can find time during the weekend to work on it some more. Off Course I will post an update here when I have accomplished something substantial. But I guess it will take a while before the whole PCB is finished. I will keep you posted :)

No comments: